Jungle Jim is one of the earliest games in the Microgaming collection, and is a good example of a video slot with relatively straightforward gaming action that nevertheless includes a variable free spin feature and payouts that are potentially very lucrative.
How to Play
Jungle Jim is a 5-reel 15 payline online pokie where the wins pay left to right, except for the scatter which pays anywhere on the reels. Coins range in size from $0.01 – $0.50 and up to 10x coins can be played per payline. The maximum bet therefore ranges in size from $1.50 – $75.00. Wins are multiplied by the line bet, except for scatter wins which are multiplied by the value of the total wager per spin.
- 5x wild symbol = up to 40,000x coins (up to $20,000)
- 4x wild symbol = up to 8,000x coins (up to $4,000)
- spears in target symbol is the scatter
- scatter wins multiplied by the total wager per spin
- 5x scatter symbol = up to 11,250 coins (up to $5,625)
- 4x scatter symbol = up to 600 coins (up to $300)
- 3x, 4x or 5x crocodile bonus symbols on any payline triggers the free spin feature
- 5x crocodile bonus symbols = up to 500x coins (up to $250)
- 5x Jungle Jim symbol = up to 15,000x coins (up to $7,500)
- 5x explorer symbol = up to 7,500x coins (up to $3,750)
Free spin feature
activated when 3x, 4x or 5x crocodile bonus symbols appear on any payline. Players are taken to a separate screen where 5 crocodiles appear. Select one, and this reveals how many free spins you win (up to 10x); the same process is repeated in order to determine the multiplier value during the free spins (1x – 5x). The free spin feature can’t be re-triggered during this round.
Graphics and Sounds
The jungle explorer theme is well done with bright, cartoon-like symbols and characters, such as Jim and his assistant, and jungle creatures including snakes, panthers and spiders. For a game of this vintage, the sound effects are quire sophisticated and relevant to the game, unlike some more generic soundtracks. A nice level of tension is created by the crocodile bonus symbol having its own special sound effect whenever it appears on a live payline.
The largest jackpot available on Jungle Jim is during the free spin bonus feature, when wins can be multiplied up to 5x. This means that 5x wild symbols during this feature is potentially worth up to $100,000 (playing the maximum coin size and number). During base play, the biggest potential jackpot is $20,000, again for hitting 5x wild symbols. This is a medium volatility game where wins are multiplied by the line bet, so playing the maximum number of coins per line is always advisable.
The variations in the way the free spin feature is played, in the number of spins awarded and the value of the multiplier, is the most appealing feature of Jungle Jim, as this has the potential to create enormous jackpots up to the value of $100,000.
- wild and scatter symbols
- expert play mode
- good variety in coin sizes
- engaging soundtrack and sound effects