Few people would argue that to win big playing online pokies you need a fair degree of luck, but that doesn’t mean you should go into a game with your eyes closed. Below, you’ll find some useful pokies tips with regards to choosing an online casino, the type of game to play, and how to manage your betting and bankroll. When you are done reading our pokies tips page, and you feel ready to play, check out our casino reviews page and get to know each casino better.
Top 10 Slots Tips
- Play for free: Most online casinos will let you play some or all of their slot games for free in ‘demo’ or freeplay mode. This is a great way to learn a new game and build your confidence before you risk your hard earned cash. Playing for free is also a great idea if your bankroll is getting low – without the pressure of money riding on the outcome, you can relax and just enjoy the fun of online slots.
- Try a few different games: The options are endless when it comes to online pokies and whatever your personal taste or preference there’s bound to be something to suit you. From three reels to five reels, themed video slots to more traditional fruit machine style games and not to mention the big-ticket progressives, you’re spoiled for choice. It’s easy to get into a comfort zone of playing the same few games over and over but if you’re willing to branch out you can find some real gems and stave off boredom.
- Play progressives: If you’re in it for the money, you won’t get a bigger payoff than if you play at the big progressive slot games. The only downside to playing progressives is that you often require a fairly big wager if you’re going to be in for a chance at the win. However, with potential jackpots often reaching the multiples of millions, many players feel it’s well worth a shot.
- Gamble responsibly: Knowing when to stop is half the battle if you want to keep the fun going for as long as possible. Set a budget beforehand and stick to your limits. Decide your budget for a session, a day, a week, or whatever timeframe you choose, and then stick to it. If you lose your money quickly, don’t be tempted to break your budget or your schedule. Treat each session separately, as the pokies will still be there when you’re ready to play next. A good rule of thumb is to risk no more than 1% of your bankroll per spin. If you set yourself $100 to play with, don’t wager more than $1 per spin.
- Give video poker a try: If you love online slots you’ll probably love playing video poker – it’s very similar and the odds are better than pokies. While there is an element of strategy involved, video poker relies mostly on chance. The opportunity to improve your odds and decrease the house edge as you hone your skills is appealing to many pokies players who are looking for a new challenge.
- Know your volatility: The way you want to play should influence whether you go for a high-volatility or low-volatility online pokie. A high volatility game will usually give higher payouts, but wins may not occur as often. A low-volatility game might mean you win more often, but those wins are probably going to be smaller.
- Bet small to start: While you might be keen to jump right in, if you’re just getting started with a new game it’s probably a good idea to bet small in the beginning. Once you have got to grips with the game and learned the paytable you can increase your bet size.
- Don’t stop when a slot pays out: Online slots are a bit different to land based slot machines in that they run entirely on random number generators. The casino’s computer doesn’t know when a game has just paid out so even if someone has just won, there’s just as much chance the game will pay out again as there was before.
- Look for bonus rounds and special features: While some players prefer the traditional fruit machine style games, if you’re after a bit more excitement and more ways to win, you’ll want to take advantage of the many different features that some of the latest pokies have including free spins, bonus games, wild cards and scatter symbols.
- Do your homework before taking a bonus: It’s easy to be drawn in by an appealing sounding bonus but in reality many bonuses are not as good as they might appear on paper. High wagering requirements and tight time limits can make the reality of that fantastic sounding bonus not what it’s cracked up to be.
A Few Hints on Choosing a game
When choosing a game to play, take a look at its paytable before you begin. On most 3-reel games the paytable is on the same screen as the reels, on 5 reel slot machines you’ll need to click a button on the reels page usually marked ‘View Payout’ or something similar. The paytable gives you info such as which symbols are wild or multipliers, or how many coins you have to wager to be eligible for major jackpots.
Hopefully these slots tips will help you get more out of your next online gambling session. By taking a bit of time to get to grips with a new game and choosing your games wisely you can increase your chances of walking away with a big payout.
To get started playing online pokies, check out our game reviews or visit one of our recommended online casinos.